Jan 23, 2018

I Am Capable!


When I was in college I took Spanish for 3 semesters.  I loved my teacher and it was so fun to celebrate each week with food or drinks while making small talk with the words we all learned that week.  Everyone would laugh and have a great time, I could tell only because of the laughter, not because I understood a darn thing coming out of their mouths.  Yes, I took Spanish for 3 semesters, but learned nothing other then how to count to 10 and a few odds and end words.  My teacher took me out off campus to eat and was like Sheila...dear, you just are not going to get it.  Save your money for something else....anything else.  It was totally funny we laughed together, because I knew he was right.  Even though this sweet teacher was not negative at all to me ever, I held on to these words and put them with all the other words that was ever said to me regarding my self worth or capability.  He meant no harm, but I allowed it to fester and become much more then he ever knew.  I might have been laughing on the outside, but on the inside there was so much more going on with me.

Fast-forward to homeschooling my kiddos and foreign language comes back into the picture.  This time it's German.  I have always been fascinated with the German culture and come to find out I have German speaking family living in Germany.  For years I felt like it wasn't possible to learn another language and I tried to not pass those beliefs onto my kiddos, but it was my true feelings at the time.  It wasn't until I really embraced the whole self care self love practice that I felt the urge to try and learn German....for me, not a grade or to be able to say I know another language.  I have a desire to learn and you know what, I am actually learning German.  If I woke up tomorrow in Germany I would be able to tell everyone who I am, that I'm hungry, need coffee, where I want to shop and several other things.  It's only been a few weeks, but I have confidence in myself and I know I am capable.  Did you read that?  I am capable!!!!

1 comment: